So Adam
your experience has been mostly with high school (as most of mine except for the past 7 years, where I'm learning a lot about K-8)
Trying to wrap my head about how to structure a K-8  environment to prepare/scaffold/ ease into (searching for the right word)  this type of environment you describe

Here is picture from one of my earlier project  that speaks to the question I ask

https://picasaweb.google.com/100115015306842777588/21stCenturyLearning#5633718473135130706

It takes 15 years to grow a scientist  (or the type of learner you speak of)
where do we start?  How do we start?  I'm in! ;-)

Lucie