On Mar 19, 2012, at 8:01 AM, Raymond Ballou wrote:

parry ...

apples with oranges

Most U.S. College Students Now Prefer Digital Reading
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-most-college-students-now-prefer-digital-reading/

- most prefer
- reading textbooks
- researched and published by a textbook publisher

In wired generation, students like paper for campus news. As editions disappear, so do dollars
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/8/in-wired-generation-students-like-paper-for-campus/print/

- some like
- reading college newspapers
- researched by newspaper journalist and published by a newspaper

Both can be true, but about different types of reading - content wise, format wise, intent wise

Another form of academic reading is of "course reserves" (book chapters, journal articles, research papers, etc). UVM had had an on-line course reserve system for close to a decade, and about 5 years or so ago, I noticed that a large number of folks were using the public computers to read course materials. (I also noticed that most of the kids who were writing in Word were doing so "off the top of their heads" rather than from hand written or printed research notes). Very few used the public terminals for facebook or email.

* * *

Your link, however, suggests another reasons reading a newspaper in print rather than online might be be enticing - you sent the "print" page which was quite readable (though it did try to snag paper and print itself on my printer). If you go to the "raw" site, you get an article that is plastered with distractions - more than half the page is plastered with "click bait", "click here" and you pay them for providing you the article Almost 20 years into the web, the "print" industry has not found a way to foster a "readability experience" sigh :(