If you are looking into the Raspberry Pi for programming, you might want to check out the world of Arduino:

  http://www.arduino.cc/

Lots of people sell them - including Radio Shack.  Sparkfun has them for $29.95.

  http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11021

There are hundreds of accessories, thousands of projects and the programming environment is very easy - there are even several scratch-like programming systems.

They are particularly fun for schools because they are designed to have easily attached input sensors (light, temperature, pressure, etc) and output devices (lights, motors, etc) making it pretty simple for kids to build stuff that reacts to the physical world outside of the computer.  Great for making interactive art or music projects because at $30 a piece, you have the option of leaving the computer with the art project.

One Arduino project example: Secret Knock Gumball Machine anyone?
     http://makezine.com/25/gumball/index.csp?page=last&x-order=date
      http://grathio.com/2011/01/make_magazine_25_featuring_the_secret_knock_gumball_machine/

Bryant