I believe firmly that you should start with your end educational outcomes and then work backwards (backwards design) to what solution to implement.

We are using one set of chrome books at Cornwall school to promote writing using Google Docs.  They are a good fit for the purpose they are being used for.  We purchased them unmanaged and refurbished which allowed us to purchase them for $250 each.  Normally $300 (checkout tigerdirect).

I think the unmanaged works fine in a small school.  The main feature that I would like to "manage" is to set the home page for each user.  We did this by logging in as every user... this is ok a a small school but unmanageable at a larger school.  We make the home page a student portal that is a google site that teachers can edit.

   - Josh