Interesting article and conversation following it in the comments about
Future of Enterprise software (which I think can also be translated to
"Education software")

http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/10/3-predictions-future-of-enterprise-software/

A growing number of educators, administrators, etc, are developing personal
learning networks.  We  are connecting with others at conferences, through
Twitter, Diigo, NINGs, and more.  Leading to

*"Dramatic shift in discovery channels* — CIO magazines are great but today
people find new apps via social media, peer recommendations, search or,
increasingly, through the various app stores. There’s no need for a special
committee to choose the right software when you can rely on credible
ratings and recommendations. The employees bring their apps and
collaboration tools from home and effectively make the decision for the
enterprise. "

The consumerism of technology is impacting the way we interact with
technology personally and thus also impacting....

*"The way we work* — Twitter turned out to be a fantastic collaboration
tool that allowed a real-time flow of information between people. Yammer
emerged to do that in the enterprise. Evernote is a fantastic tool for note
taking. Why use anything else in your work environment? Dropbox is the best
consumer online file sync solution. Sure, you can use that overly complex
enterprise storage server with four levels of authentication. Or not.

The consumerization of collaboration and productivity tools starts with
small workgroups that adopt a specific tool. At some point, the CIO notices
that different groups are using the same external product. This means that
the company’s data is not centralized anymore which is not making the CIO
happy."

Yes this is a double edged sword --  but one that is exciting to see at
play in the fields of educational technology.

Exciting times.

Lucie

--
Lucie deLaBruere