And, the children can be bought off with stickers (not worth much, easy to
trade), but the chips get fruit, much more valuable. :)

Larry

From:  Kamran Nayeri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:  Sun, 4 Mar 2012 10:09:32 -0800
To:  <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: Planet of the Apes? No, Humans Have the Cooperative Edge

A major problem with this study is that children as subjects are in their
natural context while the monkeys are in captivity. There are many studies,
beginning with Jane Goodall's, where chimps are observed to cooperate (and
to compete) as well as exhibit sharing behavior.  In a chimp groups that
Jane Goodall observed for years we can even see chimps use medicinal plants
to help them with infections or other ailments (see Nova "Chimpanzees"
1982).  still, it should be a no brainer that humans have a much larger
capacity for shared, cumulative learning than other animals. Of course, this
is a mixed blessing depending on what we learn and what we do we what we
learn.  Kamran