Kamran:

"The idea is not to give up scientific inquiry but to free it from the desire for control and domination of nature and society.  How that is done requires much talent and creativity. It is something worthwhile that people on this list can contribute to and I look froward to learn about."

Well said, but a realllllllly big project.   To end the social structures that create the desire to control and dominate nature and society is probably what is also required to protect life on the planet from destruction.

First, we need to form a vanguard splinter group that gets the analysis perfect……  :)

Larry

Dear Stuart:

Thank you for the insightful comment and your article (makes me want to subscribe to the journal--which I wanted to do if not for its steep annual rate for individuals).

I acknowledge that modern science arose co-incidentally with capitalism and became submerged into it after the Industrial Revolution.  This requires a separate analysis, of course.  However, modern science and capitalism both emerged because of already existing social processes.  This longer historical tendency characterized by domination of nature by humans and domination of other humans in class societies merit its analysis as well and can shed light on trends we see today (the converse as Marx explained is also true).  From the point of view of the desire to control our environment there is certainly a continuity, admittedly such desire has accelerated much in capitalism.

The idea is not to give up scientific inquiry but to free it from the desire for control and domination of nature and society.  How that is done requires much talent and creativity. It is something worthwhile that people on this list can contribute to and I look froward to learn about.

Best regards,

Kamran