Kamran:

"The idea is not to give up scientific inquiry but to free it from the
desire for control and domination of nature and society.  How that is done
requires much talent and creativity. It is something worthwhile that people
on this list can contribute to and I look froward to learn about."

Well said, but a realllllllly big project.   To end the social structures
that create the desire to control and dominate nature and society is
probably what is also required to protect life on the planet from
destruction.

First, we need to form a vanguard splinter group that gets the analysis
perfectŠŠ  :)

Larry

Dear Stuart:

Thank you for the insightful comment and your article (makes me want to
subscribe to the journal--which I wanted to do if not for its steep annual
rate for individuals).

I acknowledge that modern science arose co-incidentally with capitalism and
became submerged into it after the Industrial Revolution.  This requires a
separate analysis, of course.  However, modern science and capitalism both
emerged because of already existing social processes.  This longer
historical tendency characterized by domination of nature by humans and
domination of other humans in class societies merit its analysis as well and
can shed light on trends we see today (the converse as Marx explained is
also true).  From the point of view of the desire to control our environment
there is certainly a continuity, admittedly such desire has accelerated much
in capitalism.

The idea is not to give up scientific inquiry but to free it from the desire
for control and domination of nature and society.  How that is done requires
much talent and creativity. It is something worthwhile that people on this
list can contribute to and I look froward to learn about.

Best regards,

Kamran