Lawrence Debate Union

475 Main Street – Huber House

University of Vermont

Burlington, VT 05405 USA

802-656-0097 voice; 802-656-4275

http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/LDU/

The Lawrence Debate Union and the University of Vermont seek a Debate Trainer and Public Speaking Teacher. The opportunity is composed of two half-time positions, both of which will hopefully be filled by the same person. The position begins August 27, 2012 and formal duties end May 15, 2013.

§  Half-time lecturing at the University of Vermont, mostly teaching classes in basic communication skills like public speaking, although debating is a part of most of our courses. Each class is worth about $5000 each, with two in the Fall and two in the Spring. These are pending sufficient enrollment, but all classes we have offered have made that enrollment limit.

§  Half-time coaching and training with our WUDC debate program. This includes several trainings a week and travel to tournaments with our teams. $12,000. Our program has seen a lot of success of late, breaking a team at Worlds, teams in the Yale finals, breaking at Oxford, and winning several regional tournaments. We want somebody to help us continue this growth. Policy debate experience a plus but not required.

There might also be an opportunity to teach (worth $5000) this summer as well, but you would have to be here in Burlington, Vermont.

You also would have a very nice office in a quaint Tudor mansion where the Lawrence Debate Union is located.

To be eligible for these opportunities, you need:

§  A degree at the Master's level in some subject we can relate to communication. Let's talk about this if you have questions. You should be experienced at teaching public speaking.

§  Substantial experience in WUDC debating as a debater, judge, trainer. We aim to perform at the highest levels of WUDC debating and have many talented and enthusiastic students.

We hope to make a decision before the middle of April.

The Lawrence Debate Union has existed since 1899. It is a fully endowed program, meaning we operate off the interest on our endowment, and it has allowed us to have a global program. We are also about to expand our endowment because of generous donations from alumni. In 2011 we were named as the #7 debating university in the world in Colm Flynn’s poll.

http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/LDU/The_Team.html

Please send us a letter of intent, a CV and a list of references if you are interested.

I can answer normal questions, but to get an inside look at what the job is like, contact Mary Nugent, who did a fabulous job this year but will now move on to doctoral studies, at [log in to unmask]

The University of Vermont is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from all groups to apply for this opportunity.

Thanks,

Alfred Snider

Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics

Director, Lawrence Debate Union

EndFragment
--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics, University of Vermont