Lawrence Debate Union

475 Main Street -- Huber House

University of Vermont

Burlington, VT 05405 USA

802-656-0097 voice; 802-656-4275

http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/LDU/

The Lawrence Debate Union and the University of Vermont seek a Debate
Trainer and Public Speaking Teacher. The opportunity is composed of two
half-time positions, both of which will hopefully be filled by the same
person. The position begins August 27, 2012 and formal duties end May
15, 2013.

§Half-time lecturing at the University of Vermont, mostly teaching
classes in basic communication skills like public speaking, although
debating is a part of most of our courses. Each class is worth about
$5000 each, with two in the Fall and two in the Spring. These are
pending sufficient enrollment, but all classes we have offered have made
that enrollment limit.

§Half-time coaching and training with our WUDC debate program. This
includes several trainings a week and travel to tournaments with our
teams. $12,000. Our program has seen a lot of success of late, breaking
a team at Worlds, teams in the Yale finals, breaking at Oxford, and
winning several regional tournaments. We want somebody to help us
continue this growth. Policy debate experience a plus but not required.

There might also be an opportunity to teach (worth $5000) this summer as
well, but you would have to be here in Burlington, Vermont.

You also would have a very nice office in a quaint Tudor mansion where
the Lawrence Debate Union is located.

To be eligible for these opportunities, you need:

§A degree at the Master's level in some subject we can relate to
communication. Let's talk about this if you have questions. You should
be experienced at teaching public speaking.

§Substantial experience in WUDC debating as a debater, judge, trainer.
We aim to perform at the highest levels of WUDC debating and have many
talented and enthusiastic students.

We hope to make a decision before the middle of April.

The Lawrence Debate Union has existed since 1899. It is a fully endowed
program, meaning we operate off the interest on our endowment, and it
has allowed us to have a global program. We are also about to expand our
endowment because of generous donations from alumni. In 2011 we were
named as the #7 debating university in the world in Colm Flynn's poll.

http://debate.uvm.edu/debateblog/LDU/The_Team.html

Please send us a letter of intent, a CV and a list of references if you
are interested. [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

I can answer normal questions, but to get an inside look at what the job
is like, contact Mary Nugent, who did a fabulous job this year but will
now move on to doctoral studies, at [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

The University of Vermont is an equal opportunity employer and
encourages applicants from all groups to apply for this opportunity.

Thanks,

Alfred Snider

Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics

Director, Lawrence Debate Union

EndFragment

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics, University of Vermont