Touring the backyard today I found a male cardinal signing his beautiful
song and attracting the interest of a nearby female. Our usual gang of
White-Breasted Nuthatches, Titmouses, and Juncos are still plentiful, and a
song sparrow who has taken up residence in our brushpile was singing very
conspicuously. Red wings blackbirds and Canada geese could be heard in the
nearby fields.

On a trip to Rutland I stopped off at the Johnson Rec Center in Killington
and spotted a Milbert's Tortoiseshell butterfly sunning itself in the
parking lot. I've been getting more and more interested in butterflies
(birding must be a gateway hobby!) and I have no idea how common it it, but
it was a fun find on this Spring-like day. Here's to longer daylight hours!

Keri Charles
North Windsor