Shortly after my previous post about the Sandhill Cranes I got a phone call from a concerned birder. He was worried by the fact that I gave some specific markers to look for in locating the birds in the marsh. Apparently some overzealous birders in the past have tried to locate their nesting site in a canoe, kayak, or boat. This is a good reminder that getting too close to nesting birds generally is a bad idea. Furthermore, Sandhill Cranes are aggressive and will attack humans if they are approached too closely.

I would be interested to hear comments from folks on the list about kayaking etiquette. Several of my kayaking friends have expressed to me their enthusiasm for the sport because "you can get so close to the birds". What are the guidelines here? How close is too close?

Just wondering.

Bruce MacPherson
South Burlington