Julie,

There are a couple short lists of "don'ts" that may be of interest in the
book The Worst Is Over: Verbal First Aid to Calm, Relieve Pain, Promote
Healing and Save Lives by Judith Acosta and Judith Simon Prager (Jodere
Group, 2002).  See pages 87 and 92.

This book also contains many suggestions for recommended wording
throughout the text.  Some of those are summarized in a table on pages
148-151.

Hope this helps,

Melanie Wilson, MLS
Portland, OR