In their best effort to support truancy in central Vermont on Town Meeting Day, Mad River Glen offered free skiing to all Vermont kids of school age today. Neil and Stuart, seniors in high school this year, chose to forego senior Ditch Day yesterday in order to have their own senior Ski Day with Dad today. And it was good.

Conditions were good -- not "wow-write-a-glowing-report-to-SKIVT-L" spectacular, but soft-packed-powder good. We poked around in the woods a bit, but as all the lines we tried were about as packed out as the trails, we had about as good a time on the trails. The sun was blazing, the music was cranking, and the lift lines were absent. Not surprisingly, there were a fair amount of kids there, including a bunch of junior racers running an inexplicable Tuesday morning slalom race.

For the past couple of years, Neil has been skiing quite a bit with me, but Stuart had taken a bit of a teenage hiatus from skiing. Today was his first day on skis in at least two years, possibly three. I was a bit worried about how much he might have regressed during that long absence from the snow, but it was immediately apparent that the answer to that question was: not one little bit. I needn't have worried. He pretty much picked up right where he left off, skiing circles around his dad.
We skied bumps, we skied groomers, we skied woods, and we finished with a roaring run carving turns down Vixen and Bunny.

I've been writing here on and off about my adventures skiing with my kids since they were little tots, and now the youngest twins are about to head off to college. I'm sure there will be times when they come home from college or wherever their life takes them, and ski a few runs with their old man, but for the most part those years of family ski days are drawing to a close, and today I made the most of it not with magazine-quality skiing, but just by being out there with my boys. That alone made it memorable.

Dave G.