On 03/04/2012 06:25 PM, Scott Braaten wrote:
> Do you mean like low, low elevations like Champlain Valley and below
> 1,000ft?  Its been atrocious on the lower elevations west of the Spine, but
> east of the Spine up in this area the numbers are borderline shocking to me
> as they are identical to last season at this juncture.
It depends on what parts of the 200-mile Green Mountain spine you're
thinking of. Last weekend I did some cross-country skiing locally on the
Catamount Trail in the central Greens (Ripton, to be exact). The
elevation was about 1500-2000 feet. The big dump of a week and a half
ago blessed this area with all of two inches of rather dense snow, on
top of a base of frozen mud, rocks, and sticks. The next day I went
about 40 miles farther north and across the east side in Lamoille
County, and of course as we know it was about thigh deep up there, also
at about 1500-2000 feet. If I spent all my time up there around Mount
Mansfield, I'd probably have a pretty rosy picture of this winter, too.

Dave G.