Hi Sylvia,
Can't give you much more than what you probably already know from talking
with Jeff and Rhonda in Fairfax, but here's an outline of what we've done
for management in Enosburg.  We did setup Lion server and tested some of
it's features, but it didn't do what we needed so we've invested in
Absolute Manage.  I have not closely investigate Apple's new management
utility.

Volume Purchasing: We have 1 purchasing account (facilitator) and IT are
the only people allowed to purchase Apps & Books.  We track purchases on
our own shared spreadsheet by App and indicate which budget purchased it
(ie: Grant funded, Special Ed, etc).  We send voucher codes to teachers
for installation and ask that they use the Generic Teacher account to
install, understanding that they could use any account to do the
installation, but we communicate why it's done this way and most teachers
comply.  Right now students don't install Apps...will be changing very
soon.

Grade 5, 1:1, 60 devices:
   iphone configuration utility to set profiles controlling wifi
    password, and removing youtube (Principal request b/c of inappropriate
    popular videos that show up)
1 generic student account that students do not know password to
App store is enabled but students are trusted not to attempt to
    download/sync with personal accounts...and it works!
Teachers deploy apps by asking students to turn on automatic updates
    (Apps, iBooks, Music), then when they make the purchase -either free,
    or through a voucher IT sends them- students automatically have it
    downloaded to their device
We also have important teacher-parent management steps in place, but it
    sounds like you are looking for tech management, right?

Grades 9-12, 350+ devices:
we are right in the middle of deploying Absolute Management which will
    make life alot easier.  Can't report on how effective it is yet, but
    it's very promising!
iphone config restrictions similar to Elementary, but students can NOT
    install Apps, Music, sync
1 student account per grade level (85-90 students per grade) helps us
    manage  syncing, installing/updating Apps, deploying books, etc.
Find my iPad/iCloud.  Locate, lock, message, and wipe devices.  Very
    important and used too much to be without!  Absolute will enhance this
    service, but won't replace it.
Student "tech interns" help us manage deployments and updates, so they are
    trusted with profile passwords.  They routinely sync, backup and
    update other students' iPads.
You didn't ask about teacher PD...this is huge.  Did I mention this was
    huge?  Teachers really have to manage the devices in the classroom,
    understand that they are allowed to view student iPads, remove
    pictures, delete apps if necessary, and immediately report problems.
    This does not happen automatically!!!

I know this is just a skeleton of the management, and it's been evolving
since we started, but I'd be happy to invite you in and spend some time
showing you how we've got things setup.  Please keep in mind that this
will change somewhat as we begin using Absolute Manage.

Rob Gervais
Director of Technology
Enosburgh Town School District
Enosburg, VT 05450