Hi Sylvia,
Can't give you much more than what you probably already know from talking with Jeff and Rhonda in Fairfax, but here's an outline of what we've done for management in Enosburg.  We did setup Lion server and tested some of it's features, but it didn't do what we needed so we've invested in Absolute Manage.  I have not closely investigate Apple's new management utility.

Volume Purchasing: We have 1 purchasing account (facilitator) and IT are the only people allowed to purchase Apps & Books.  We track purchases on our own shared spreadsheet by App and indicate which budget purchased it (ie: Grant funded, Special Ed, etc).  We send voucher codes to teachers for installation and ask that they use the Generic Teacher account to install, understanding that they could use any account to do the installation, but we communicate why it's done this way and most teachers comply.  Right now students don't install Apps...will be changing very soon.

Grade 5, 1:1, 60 devices:
Grades 9-12, 350+ devices:
I know this is just a skeleton of the management, and it's been evolving since we started, but I'd be happy to invite you in and spend some time showing you how we've got things setup.  Please keep in mind that this will change somewhat as we begin using Absolute Manage.

Rob Gervais
Director of Technology
Enosburgh Town School District
Enosburg, VT 05450