Herb:

Thanks for sharing your observations. They help me think through this problem.

From your examples, the difference between a scientist's and a believer's intuition appear to be their formation process.

For the scientist, intuition "is informed by a lot of prior analytical thinking and knowledge."

For a nun, it is either an unconscious process or involves acts of faith based on a belief in super-natural intervention (anything is possible if...).

Thus, the way intuition is formed is the key difference. One is rational and the other irrational.

Is this a fair interpretation?

Of course, other forces intervene; for example, ideology can affect both the scientist and the nun in how they see the world.

Kamran