All:

I think what scientists do is construct models of reality that explain more or less well (compared to other models) how nature functions at any levels.  We have faith in our models, but not blind faith (except on exams).  Models are tested by asking, well, if the model explains this property of nature, it ought to  explain that one, and an experimental test is devised.   But because all models are simplifications, I.e., no model covers all of reality, and if the model is extended far enough (e.g., in physics to the whole universe) the model probably fails.

So there is always some uncertainty.  No big deal.  We just write a new grant proposal for more funding.  :)

I found an interesting set of definitions in the Urban Dictionary for Existentialist Agnosticism:

"Agnosticism, technically meaning 'the spirituality without knowledge', is a practice that puts all previous religions into question. Just as the post-modern movement desires re-evaluation of gender, sexuality, and concept, agnosticism calls into question the origins of god and the universe. While it would be completely arrogant for the human race to assume that they were the highest beings, power-wise, we have no proof that there is only one higher being. Further-more, we have no proof that they are out to do us any good, and no proof that they can or wish to communicate with us at the present moment. In essence, Agnosticism is the ultimate 'who knows, who cares', in terms of spirituality.

"Now. Existentialism is, essentially, the contemplation of existence. Often the parable of Sisyphus is used as the existentialist mascot. The futile image that the parable creates is to symbolize our life...for, linking with post-modern strains of thought (which, remember, seek to re-evaluate all we have previously assumed to gain a higher truth), there is technically nothing more than this struggle. However, existentialism largely wished for us to accept this. Don't hate the struggle...it is ALL you have to depend upon. Your language, your concept of time, your concept of relationship, your concept of government, your concept of organization, your concepts of religion...all will fail you. However, the boulder will not. Accept and love the boulder [my emphasis]."

Not bad.

Can't have a revolution without struggle and may not have one with it.  With a lot of luck, we might be entering a period of history in which struggle actually produces real social change that we can taste----or even a social revolution—real satisfaction.  The times feel sort of right.

But as Emma Goldman said:

If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.  (Sisyphus was a drag).

Or one can follow Garfield the cat:

"Life is uncertain, eat dessert first."

I think the occupy movement gets both.

Larry