Ghent isn't that far away.
----- Original Message -----
From: Sharon Stichter
To: MassLep
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2012 1:06 PM
Subject: [MassLep] White-M Hairstreak in Ghent NY

Hi Folks,

Conrad Vispo in Ghent, N.Y. forwarded me these images of a WHITE M
HAIRSTREAK which he found on April 21. Ghent is just a bit west of
Stockbridge, Mass.

We need to be on the lookout for White Ms at this time of year!  May (and
now late April) is their NORMAL first flight period in Massachusetts and
Connecticut. We may be missing them because of not looking in the tree
canopy. The larvae are oak-feeders -- but the adults of course do look for
nectar. Habitat is OAK woods, esp. edges.

They could be migrating in from further south --- but they may well have
overwintered here during this past rather warm winter.  We have already had
at least three reported so far this year: Mt Tom, ;4/7/2012 and 4/13/2012,
Tom Gagnon; 4/13/2012 Montague Plains WMA S. Moore, R. and S. Cloutier; and
4/21/2012 Middlesex Fells, M. Arey. There are probably more out there, and
with 2 or 3 broods, we'll probably see more in July and then in
Aug-Sept-Oct.

Sharon Stichter
Newbury, MA