Canon G-series cameras have always been popular for people who want compact
quality.  The most current G1X looks like a nice camera, though I wouldn't
hesitate to recommend the prior versions (except for the one that won't
shoot RAW, G10, maybe?)

You could even rent one, if you didn't want to purchase right now:
http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-g1-x

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Get Skied <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have an upcoming ski trip to the PNW and my trusty point-and-shoot has
> decided to crap out just in time for it. I know there have been a number of
> discussions/recommendations on cameras over the years, but seeing as the
> technology changes so quickly I thought it might be appropriate to ask for
> List wisdom again here.
>
> Specifically, I'm looking for these features:
>
> 1) Small, compact
> 2) Ability to take raw images
> 3) Rechargeable battery pack
> 4) Decent optical zoom (5x?)
> 5) Continuous shot mode in full quality or close to it
>
> HD video would be nice, but not a requirement.
>
> I've already gotten some recommendations but would value the collective
> wisdom here to help round out the picture, so to speak.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Evan

Benjamin D. Bloom
www.benjamindbloom.com