Canon G-series cameras have always been popular for people who want compact quality.  The most current G1X looks like a nice camera, though I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the prior versions (except for the one that won't shoot RAW, G10, maybe?)

You could even rent one, if you didn't want to purchase right now:  http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-g1-x