Thirded if you want to go non-SLR. Plus it's got my initial for a
name. It has to be good!

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Matt B <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I would second Ben with the recommendation of the Canon G series (from a
> Nikon guy no less) but take a hard look at the continuous/burst mode feature
> on the G series depending on how your 5 required features are weighted.
>
> IMHO, RAW+5x zoom+Continuous/Burst performance is a tough trio in a P&amp;S.
>
> This also depends on what your definition of "continuous shots" are
>

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 11:21:47 -0400, Benjamin Bloom
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>Canon G-series cameras have always been popular for people who want
> compact
>>quality.  The most current G1X looks like a nice camera, though I wouldn't
>>hesitate to recommend the prior versions (except for the one that won't
>>shoot RAW, G10, maybe?)
>>
>>You could even rent one, if you didn't want to purchase right now:
>>http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-g1-x
>>

>>> Specifically, I'm looking for these features:
>>>
>>> 1) Small, compact
>>> 2) Ability to take raw images
>>> 3) Rechargeable battery pack
>>> 4) Decent optical zoom (5x?)
>>> 5) Continuous shot mode in full quality or close to it

"I'm a simple man, Hobbes."
"You?? Yesterday you wanted a nuclear powered car that could turn into
a jet with laser-guided heat-seeking missiles!"
"I'm a simple man with complex tastes."