On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:31:29 -0400, Skip King
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 4/15/2012 6:24 PM, Scott Braaten wrote:
>> I am amazed at how fast that melted again.
>
>And why would that be, young Jedi?  24" of new snow with nowt more than
>a few ski tracks and its own weight to compress it doesn't have doodly
>squat for thermal mass.  Personally, I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Yeah, I dunno... it was just a feeling I got being out in it all last week
that it would be durable enough to stick around for a bit.  Its hard to
describe just how wet this snow was and that cement doesn't melt off like
24" of January upslope dust.  For one, it doesn't settle at all so it
doesn't matter how heavy that top layer gets from free air heating, that
stuff wasn't compressing.

I mean, we were talking 3.5-4" of liquid held in 20-30" of snow.... that's
Sierra Crest type snow right there.  Its not all gone, there's still up to
10" more than there was prior to last week, but given that it stuck around
in full for over 3 days through Friday afternoon (like still over 20" of
snow on Friday afternoon), I felt it would hold up for this two-day warm up.
However, since Friday afternoon, its just disappeared.

-Scott