  _____

From: Vermont Vegetable and Berry Growers
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pooh Sprague
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 9:35 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: NRCS

Heres my two cents to a really interesting discussion.

I applaud Sam's and Pauls positions, and their strong  beliefs. But as a
labeled "back to the land hippy" of the 70's, there were no programs
available to us. In fact, when I  went to see  about some fixed USDA 1%
money in 1976 I was being poured into the  Northeast dairy farms I was
told(literally) that USDA was not interested in loaning money to "hippies
growing cabbage". USDA has come a long way since then.

This is a very hard business to get into. Capital costs are high for the
return on product produced, and land is a commodity that is rapidly
tightening up and  out of reach for most young people starting up. I would
agree with    both Paul and Sam that the money is not "free", comes with
strings(doesnt all  money?) and should not drive  your business plan just
because its available. But be pragmatic about the use of it. If there is a
federal program that allows you to achieve a particular income stream or
gets your farm to a critical mass that is sustaineable, why not use it?  We
are every bit as entitled to  it as the commodity farmers,as we are
taxpayers as well. Dont feed at the trough of the federal government to make
your farm work, but take  advantage of the programs that allow you to make
your farm work for you.