Hi everyone. Thanks for the responses! Some folks asked to see them, so here
they are:

Pick them early in the AM and put them in buckets or containers with water
in the bottom... keep them in the shade. It's washing them that gives them
black spots... it's the only crop I don't wash before bringing to market!

We usually do a quick wash in cold water, and then put the basil in the
fridge in crates with a wet towel covering them - if they are dry and
sitting in the cold, they will turn black, but we have found it to work well
as long as they are not too exposed to the cold air, and have some moisture.
In the past at another farm, we had a warmer fridge that was run by AC set
at I believe about 60 degrees (don't remember exactly) and that worked as
well.

I know the diggers deliver their basil with roots in water to the coop, in a
5 gal pail, but it takes some work to have a decent arrangement where one
gets the 5 gal pails back.

Mimi;  Happy Memorial Day;   Never wash basil.  If it is wet when you pick
it, dry it under a ceiling fan if you have one, or just in the shade.  Flip
them over when the top is dry.  When they are almost dry, store above 40
degrees in plastic bags.  Wet basil stored lower than 40 degrees will spot
very quickly.  All the best.  Bob and Jane Pomykala

I have mine Inside a greenhouse and don't wash it. Harvest it into boxes and
cover with plastic bags in the walk in then bunch and put in plastic bags.

we find that basil does best in a plastic bag, unwashed

re temp--that is tricky since basil likes 55 degree temp F

so a cooler is too cool, and a 90 degree day  is too hot

I've had the best luck putting unwashed bunches on trays in the cooler and
when cooled down putting in plastic bags. fine for small amounts but not
good for big bunches.

don't wash the basil!  I pick it at the end of the day when the sun is down,
or in the AM after the dew has dried and there are clouds.  I bunch it and
put it in plastic bins, but not too crowded, then I put the bins in the walk
in.  Our walk in is at about 45 degrees.  The basils does fine in there as
long as it is NOT WET.  In a fridge that is set lower for dairy or meat, it
will go black.  I do not know what your quantities are.  I tell my customers
to put it in water on the counter like cut flowers, as long as just the
stems are wet and not the leaves this is fine.

We plant on plastic to keep the dirt from splashing up after a rain,
otherwise dirt can be a big problem on the leaves.

Basil goes against everything else I harvest. We do about 200 lbs a week to
a pesto maker (am ashamed at how little we get for it). We pick at midday,
or as soon as there is no moisture on it. We pick as fast as possible into
the flip top plastic shipping boxes, and put them in the shade immediately.
Then, within 20 minutes or so they go into the walkin, all the morning
harvest is chilled at that point, so the heat goes out fast, after an hour
or so I turn the cooler up to 45 (coolbots are great!). It goes the next
morning to the processor. We do the same thing for the CSA.  I think the
secret is never get it wet, if you are bunching it for the market or CSA,
you have to say it's unwashed. Also picking into a closed container, while
there is a lot of field heat, the leaves retain their moisture. It just
melts away in a black crate. Bunch it after it's chilled and put it in an
~airtight box and back in the cooler quickly. It will keep for 3=4 days in
the cooler if the temperature isn't too low.

We leave the roots on our basil bunches and put the bunches right into 3" of
water, then we put buckets in a cool, shaded location. We don't wash the
basil. Nobody complains and the basil looks great. We tell folks to put
basil in a glass of water on the counter. That way they can pick off of it
for a week or two as they need to. Are you asking about wholesale or for
members?

We pick ours first thing in the AM, do not wash it, bag it, and keep it in
our squash and Zuke cooler which runs about 50 degrees. Wet basil in a cold
cooler is always a disaster.

Mimi Arnstein

Wellspring Farm

Marshfield VT