Farm Subsidies ( grants, gifts, cost sharing, or the euphemism of the day) are a product of farm policy. HIstory has shown us, especially via  commodity crop subsidies, that consolidation of the industry and production of cheap food  has been, and I believe, continues to be, our farm policy. We are all aware of how this has damaged our ability to charge a reasonable price for our products. Corn, fencing, high tunnel, irrigation and any other subsidy contributes to artificially lowering costs of production.  I think we will lose control of our businesses and our sector if we accept this money.

I want to know if I have a viable business model, and if so, I want to teach others how to produce good food in a profitable way. These land based businesses can support families, enhance communities, and be enduring. However, I believe it is essential that we remain independent and continue to develop business and production models that work without any of our neighbors' tax dollars. I have thought about this very much and realize it is difficult to turn away from thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars, but the influence this money purchases may damage us in the long run.

We have not and will not accept any form of subsidy and I urge others to do the same.

Paul Horton
Foggy Meadow Farm
2494 Lake Road
Benson, VT  05743