I agree with Tracie. My experience with NRCS has been related to cover
cropping, mulching and tunnels. They have been extremely helpful in person
with my questions, with alerting me to other funding opportunities and
helping with any associated paperwork. They donít simply dole out funds
however. They are there to prevent or reduce environmental impact, for us,
of agricultural development. That includes lots of areas significant to
farmers Ė irrigation, energy, cover cropping, tillage, water and land
conservation, mulches, agroforestry efforts and many other areas. Some
grants are competitive, a large number are not competitive though.

I have been involved in writing successful large and small grants.  Whether
the grant is through the feds or a private foundation, grant writing is a
craft. There is a lot of competition for an ever decreasing pool of
funding. It is foolish to think that one can simply sit down and jot a
proposal together for a massive amount of money and successfully submit it
to a grantor. Like everything else, grant writing takes time, experience
and expertise.

It seems there are two discussions going on here. On involves interaction
with NRCS and the other is grant writing. With NRCS projects that Tracie
and I have been involved in you need to apply for funds which have been
awarded to state and regional NRCS offices, not write a grant. To get USDA
to award you money, you need to write a grant for Rural Development, Value
Added, Energy, Farmers Market Promotion and so on. There are a couple of
ways to approach that. One is to apply directly and openly compete for
funds; that is to write a grant and suffer through the federal grant
process. I agree that it is not as easy as it should be. Usually, the
process is rather onerous. The exception, if the feds have a pet project
they are promoting, like EBT for instance, they will readily fund just
about any project. The second, and easier, method is to apply to a state
dept of agriculture. The states receive a block grant(s) of sorts; the
state then controls the distribution of funds through a much more relaxed
and less intense grant process. The benefits are that you can meet face to
face with grantors and actually get questions answered and you probably
personally know all the players. The downside is that the awards are
smaller and there is a lot more competition for that smaller pool of
dollars. A potential third method is to approach the NHDAMF with an idea
and see if they will included it in a grant they are writing or if they are
willing to help you through the process.

Another option is SARE. SARE funding largely goes untapped in NH. UNHCE
would love to see some basic research grant funding directed into NH.

Jim Ramanek

Warner River Organics

Webster, NH