I agree with Tracie. My experience with NRCS has been related to cover cropping, mulching and tunnels. They have been extremely helpful in person with my questions, with alerting me to other funding opportunities and helping with any associated paperwork. They don’t simply dole out funds however. They are there to prevent or reduce environmental impact, for us, of agricultural development. That includes lots of areas significant to farmers – irrigation, energy, cover cropping, tillage, water and land conservation, mulches, agroforestry efforts and many other areas. Some grants are competitive, a large number are not competitive though.

I have been involved in writing successful large and small grants.  Whether the grant is through the feds or a private foundation, grant writing is a craft. There is a lot of competition for an ever decreasing pool of funding. It is foolish to think that one can simply sit down and jot a proposal together for a massive amount of money and successfully submit it to a grantor. Like everything else, grant writing takes time, experience and expertise.

It seems there are two discussions going on here. On involves interaction with NRCS and the other is grant writing. With NRCS projects that Tracie and I have been involved in you need to apply for funds which have been awarded to state and regional NRCS offices, not write a grant. To get USDA to award you money, you need to write a grant for Rural Development, Value Added, Energy, Farmers Market Promotion and so on. There are a couple of ways to approach that. One is to apply directly and openly compete for funds; that is to write a grant and suffer through the federal grant process. I agree that it is not as easy as it should be. Usually, the process is rather onerous. The exception, if the feds have a pet project they are promoting, like EBT for instance, they will readily fund just about any project. The second, and easier, method is to apply to a state dept of agriculture. The states receive a block grant(s) of sorts; the state then controls the distribution of funds through a much more relaxed and less intense grant process. The benefits are that you can meet face to face with grantors and actually get questions answered and you probably personally know all the players. The downside is that the awards are smaller and there is a lot more competition for that smaller pool of dollars. A potential third method is to approach the NHDAMF with an idea and see if they will included it in a grant they are writing or if they are willing to help you through the process.

Another option is SARE. SARE funding largely goes untapped in NH. UNHCE would love to see some basic research grant funding directed into NH.

Jim Ramanek

Warner River Organics

Webster, NH