AMEN!!!!!!!
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Roberta Dana
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: Annual filing of homestead declaration

I totally agree with you Jim on the ridiculous late filing deadline.  I have always believed that the April filing date should be the deadline date.  ONE date, being the same date Vermont income tax returns are due, would make it all simpler to me.  September was bad enough but October is just plain ludicrist.  Many towns will already have collected their taxes for the year and some of us will wind up with the mess we had last year when we were sending out revised tax bills in December!  (not to mention the additional amounts were delinquent as it was after our tax due date)  It did not make happy campers out of the taxpayers that were affected.
I personally believe that the back to annual filing is a good choice because apparently these taxpayers didn't know that they were supposed to withdraw their homestead declarations when their properties ceased to be their homesteads (we never had THAT issue when the annual filing was necessary).  I know there are instructions in the Vermont tax booklets but those aren't mailed out anymore either (and many people rely on tax people to file their appropriate documentation).  This whole property tax/education tax system is broken IMHO and won't be right until they throw out Act 60 and all subsequent acts and devise a simpler system!

Roberta Dana
Groton Town Treasurer
& Collector of Current Taxes
1476 Scott Hwy