For issues involving Vermont notaries, the best resource that I’m aware of is:

http://vermont-archives.org/notary/index.htm

including but not limited to:

http://vermont-archives.org/notary/guide/pdf/NotaryGuide2011.pdf

See especially pages 9-10.

There are also periodic educational opportunities for notaries, some of which just recently occurred:

http://vermont-archives.org/notary/pdf/NotaryForum2012.pdf

For specific advice, please consult with legal counsel and or resources such as VLCT.

Trevor