Attention Town Clerks who process marriage licenses:

I am writing to inform you that the 2012 Vermont Legislature passed Act 92, "relating to divorce and dissolution proceedings", which goes into effect on July 1st. To review the full text of the bill, click on As Enacted Into Law on this page: &http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/status/summary.cfm?Bill=H%2E0758&Session=2012 .

While this legislation primarily affects the courts, it also impacts the Vital Records Office and the town clerks as the following amendment to 18 V.S.A. 5131 specifies changes to the Application for Vermont License of Civil Marriage and to the Vermont License and Certificate of Civil Marriage forms:

(4)(A) Parties to a civil union certified in Vermont may elect to dissolve their civil union upon marrying one another but are not required to do so to form a civil marriage. The [Health] department shall clearly indicate this option on the marriage application form. If a couple elects this option, each party to the intended marriage shall sign a statement on the confidential portion of the civil marriage license and certificate form stating that he or she freely and voluntarily agrees to dissolve the civil union between the parties.

We are finalizing the changes to the marriage application and to the license. Later in June we will provide you with interactive pdf versions for both forms so they can be completed electronically. Please note that these forms cannot be used prior to July 1, 2012 when the new law takes effect.

In the meantime if you have any questions about this bill or the changes to the marriage forms, please contact Cindy Hooley, Vital Statistics Information Manager, by email: [log in to unmask], or call 651-1636.

Dawn Anderson

Supervisor of Vital Records Registration

Vermont Department of Health