Most of our teachers have personal apple IDs anyway, for their ipods,
iphones, itunes, etc.  We purchase apps through one account, and install
the paid apps via apple configurator.  The configurator keeps track of how
many you've purchased and how many are installed, which itunes won't do.
Then teachers use their own apple IDs, then they can put all their music
on them if they like, use their own icloud, etc.

One other thing about buying codes through the volume license program and
then giving the codes to teachers for them to install them is if the
teacher uses their personal apple ID instead of a school on, then they own
the app.  If you want to treat apps like consumables, since they're so
cheap, that works, but if you want to make sure the school doesn't lose
control of the apps, configurator is the way to go.  'Course, you have to
have a mac running OSX 10.7 to use it.

One bummer about deploying free apps with one apple ID, and then giving
the ipads to teachers and expecting them to use another: the teachers
can't upgrade the apps when the store says upgrades are available.  They
have to uninstall them and reinstall them with their own ID.  Not really a
show stopper, since they're free apps anyway, but inconvenient.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418