Ron Payne and I this morning were surveying a segment of the Champlain
Valley Power Line rights of way (ROW) for the cooperative study underway
by Vermont Audubon and VELCO.  The survey is to provide base line data
for guiding future creation and protection of habitat for priority
shrubland bird species.  The segment is in northern Salisbury.  Numerous
volunteers are surveying other ROW segments.

This ROW segment contains an integrated mosaic of microhabitats,
including numerous wet, sedgy meadow patches.  In one such area Ron
detected the song of a Sedge Wren.  As we investigated, the bird
secretly moved about from place to place in an area about five acres in
size, staying out of sight among the vegetation even while flying ....
singing briefly several times.

The land is posted and also contains locations of species of plants
listed as State Endangered or Threatened Species.  Our access was
obtained and authorized by the Audubon/VELCO Bird Survey Cooperative.

Ian