From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Martha
McClintock
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 4:14 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VTBIRD] Black-billed Cuckoo---a slightly funny story

Bill is an early riser.  I struggle to get up...not a good trait for a
wanna-be-birder!  But Bill gets up at 5:00 to walk every morning before work
and, when he has enough dynamite to rouse me, I join him.  On Tuesday, he
ran in from a solo trip to tell me about a new and different bird he had
seen and heard.  After some searching of the bird book and listening to All
About Birds, he decided that it was a Black-billed Cuckoo.

 I got up with him on Wednesday.  No sight and no sound from the Cuckoo.

Thursday, I slept and Bill went out with the binoculars.  Sure enough, a
clear view that confirmed the Cuckoo.

Friday, I joined him.  You guessed it....no sight nor sound of the Cuckoo.

I was beginning to suspect a giant hoax to get me out of bed! But I got up
with him today and heard its unmistakable song!  Unfortunately, it came from
the far side of a field so I did not see it.  On the other hand, I will keep
getting up until I can add that the BB Cuckoo to my life list.

Happy Birding,
Martha