Hi, everyone.

Below is a blog post I wrote about the video OHSU Library: Why Are We Here? The video can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR1tvuNvozQ

The post is here:

http://www.consortiumlibrary.org/blogs/pnc/2012/06/22/pncmla-members-featured-in-video-ohsu-library-why-are-we-here/

I feel especially proud just now to be a medical librarian because I have watched the video, “OHSU Library: Why Are We Here?” which features many of the staff who work in library services at Oregon Health & Science University including members of the  Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association such as Jackie Wirz,  Laura Zeigen, Chris Shaffer, and Todd Hannon.

I came across a tweet by J. Turner Masland that mentioned the video and it is really quite moving to hear such skillful, dedicated health sciences librarians speaking from the heart about how privileged they feel to be able to help medical people, students and other seekers of assistance in the quest for answers about illness and therapies.

They all speak articulately of how gratifying it is to be able to help others acquire the knowledge needed in the quest to cure disease and alleviate suffering. Chris and Laura both show great empathy for students, clinicians and researchers and stress how important it is to convey to those in those groups that librarians are approachable and ready to assist. Laura so loves her work that she gets a little teary about the importance of medical education and how hard the students she strives to serve work. Sweet.

I hope library school students and medical students alike will view this video–the former to gain an understanding of health sciences librarianship and the latter to feel freer to ask for help when they need it.

Well done, OHSU librarians. You are a credit to our profession, your institution, our chapter, academia, and medicine.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services