-----Original Message-----

Perhaps this is a truly stupid question but could someone please tell me

how to find out what the cost of living is?

How do you find it and who puts out that information?

Every year at evaluation and raise time I get bombarded with that

question and I don't have an answer.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post! Here is my summary.

Most responses stemmed from the Bureau of Labor Statistics:

www.bls.gov

http://www.coli.org/

http://www.bls.gov/cpi/

http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

Sperlings does a pretty good job per city of the cost of living.

http://www.bestplaces.net/ <http://www.bestplaces.net/>

the consumer price index.  This explains the difference
http://www.bls.gov/dolfaq/bls_ques2.htm

By entering 'cost of living' in quotes in Google, several calculators
pop up - you can specify location, compare locations, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost-of-living_index -

Wolfram Alpha provides cost of living information by location, so it may
be a good resource for you.

www.wolframalpha.com

Thanks again to the list members that were so helpful!

Lou

Lou Miller

Medical Librarian

Phone: (815) 937-7966