On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:11 AM, Patrick Haskell <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Some friends of mine unsubscrie every summer, whereas I wonder why
> suddenly nobody has anything to say.  To each his own.  My sense is that
> the amount of OT and off-season banter has generally declined since the
> popularization of various forms and forums of social media, but some of
> us still find the List to be an excellent social medium.

Yup, many former list regulars are finding it more comforting to post to
known and accepted "friends" on Facebook as opposed to anonymous lurkers on
the skivt-l forum. Plus you can add pictures, videos and hyperlinks without
having to brush off your HTML for Dummies book or open a Gmail account.

The skivt-l list seems to survive based on its crotchedy uniqueness,
culture, and longtime contributors (admittedly in decline), not because it
is a cutting edge forum for ski discussion (it isnt).

Evan