Went there with the family and father-in-law on saturday.  They've got the standard tour and the type of gift shop that you might expect of an established werbery.  Definitely interesting to hear how they adapted their processes to produce traditional Belgian styles. They have a new, dedicated tasting room that gives the place the feel of one of the nearby Finger Lakes eniweries but with a cafe that has a really nice mix of American and Belgian pub fare that makes it a more comfortable destination than their fruitier neighbors (many of which are worthwhile destinations in their own right).  Between the cafe and the open space at Ommegang. the kids were kept amply entertained while I resarched, sampled, and purchased the product.

We didn't catch a show, but they have a concert series of pretty large acts (e.g., Wilco, Lyle Lovett, Cake), where they get 5,000 to 8,000 folks in to listen to music, camp, and engage in activities to make them glad that they have a tent 500 feet away, rather than a motel down the road.  I'm giving thought to a return trip next summer.  LIke Roger said, they are one of the best around.  I'm not inclined to their most popular styles, Hennepin or BPA (perhaps because they remind me of a batch of homewerbgonewrong that followed not long after a respectable attempt at an abbey ela using yeast cultured from a four-pack of lavrO tsipparT).  The Rare Vos, Three Philosophers, Abbey, and epecially, Art of Darkness are all truly excellent, and I look forward to sampling their Seduction soon.  If I can find my html for draknurds book, I'll post a pic with tasting notes.

- Patrick

From: Peter Salts <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [SKIVT-L] Ommegang werBery wuz: VT cyclists wuz Re: [SKIVT-L] K-mart lawsuit now: OT and non-VT

Patrick - do tell us more.  I visited a number of breweries when I was out in Portland, Oegon for 6 months and found each one to be better then the next.  My favorite was the Double Mountain Brewery in Hood River.  I visited there many times on my way back from Mt. Hood Meadows.  The brews out there are quite a bit  hoppier than here.........

PS