I have been involved lately in workshops on communicating climate change
(for journalists and for scientists). I’ve come to think that investigating
how people think about the issue is one of the most important things we can
do. I would never speak for the USA, but in large swathes of the world,
climate change science has been quite clearly communicated, given the levels
of complexity involved. Yet some of the more intelligent journalists in
South Africa continue to treat it as a fringe issue, if true at all. Why? We
really need answers. It’s very evident that a lot that isn’t rational is
involved here. And how do you study that? There’s the hard science stuff,
and that’s ground you can be sure of – but people aren’t hard science, and
their minds don’t lend themselves to controls and double-blind trials and so
on.  But if we don’t try to figure out what’s happening in all of our minds,
what will become of us?

Framing turns out, in what you might call ‘practical experiments’ (my own
little efforts, and reports from others!),  to make a huge difference to how
people react to the issue. As with the unpublished study, I am finding that
both the context in which you couch the issue, and the angle (gloom, gloom,
or practical positive suggestions) alters reactions. As Claudia says, it has
to have emotional relevance. In southern Africa, polar bears and penguins
mean little to people on the ground. Dead crops, parched land, dirty water
ring bells with people – because, as you say, Claudia, that’s stuff they
really know.

One local survey asked relatively poor people if they knew what climate
change was. Yes, they said: it’s something that comes from space. That took
a while to work out: newspapers usually use a lovely graphic of the Earth
being bombarded by the rays of the sun, you see! That image couldn’t be less
relevant to people in their ‘now’.

But if you ask rural people, as an example, if they are experiencing a
changing climate by asking if changes in the weather are affecting them,
they can relate immediately, and will tell you how they can no longer get
two crops a year, or the rains don’t come at the right time anymore, or
they’ve had to change their crop of choice. One of our local campaigners
around marine life has made huge inroads on how fishermen – the crews of big
fishing ships – think, by not telling them the science, but asking them to
tell her what changes they’ve seen since they started fishing – which
species are you catching? Do you still get big kingklip? And so on.