I have been involved lately in workshops on communicating climate change (for journalists and for scientists). I’ve come to think that investigating how people think about the issue is one of the most important things we can do. I would never speak for the USA, but in large swathes of the world, climate change science has been quite clearly communicated, given the levels of complexity involved. Yet some of the more intelligent journalists in South Africa continue to treat it as a fringe issue, if true at all. Why? We really need answers. It’s very evident that a lot that isn’t rational is involved here. And how do you study that? There’s the hard science stuff, and that’s ground you can be sure of – but people aren’t hard science, and their minds don’t lend themselves to controls and double-blind trials and so on.  But if we don’t try to figure out what’s happening in all of our minds, what will become of us?

Framing turns out, in what you might call ‘practical experiments’ (my own little efforts, and reports from others!),  to make a huge difference to how people react to the issue. As with the unpublished study, I am finding that both the context in which you couch the issue, and the angle (gloom, gloom, or practical positive suggestions) alters reactions. As Claudia says, it has to have emotional relevance. In southern Africa, polar bears and penguins mean little to people on the ground. Dead crops, parched land, dirty water ring bells with people – because, as you say, Claudia, that’s stuff they really know.

One local survey asked relatively poor people if they knew what climate change was. Yes, they said: it’s something that comes from space. That took a while to work out: newspapers usually use a lovely graphic of the Earth being bombarded by the rays of the sun, you see! That image couldn’t be less relevant to people in their ‘now’.

But if you ask rural people, as an example, if they are experiencing a changing climate by asking if changes in the weather are affecting them, they can relate immediately, and will tell you how they can no longer get two crops a year, or the rains don’t come at the right time anymore, or they’ve had to change their crop of choice. One of our local campaigners around marine life has made huge inroads on how fishermen – the crews of big fishing ships – think, by not telling them the science, but asking them to tell her what changes they’ve seen since they started fishing – which species are you catching? Do you still get big kingklip? And so on.

From: Science for the People Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Phil Gasper
Sent: 22 July 2012 08:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cons Psych: We’re All Climate-Change Idiots - NYTimes.com

I'll give you some comments later. Comments like "total drivel" are reactions to what is ideological total drivel. My response to this is the exactly the same when I see the new reports on the latest "findings" of evolutionary psychology. I'm surprised that anyone on this list would take it seriously.