Years ago, when moving to a new space, we were not allowed to use the
shelving tops because too close to the ceilings/sprinklers that were part
of the construction.  Do check heights involved and keep away from stacks
if you can.  Somewhat later there was a major leak from drilling into pipes
above us (!!!!); happened just before I left for the day, so able to rescue
everything.  After that, we kept books below the top shelves.  Yes, some
were damaged, but nothing like what UW Superior had to deal with after
flooding this summer (same timing as Duluth flooding).  Anyone interested
can go to the Jim Dan Hall (library name) facebook page.  Director Deb
Gilles Nordgren started her career has hospital librarian in northern
Wisconsin; very active in consortia and WHSLA.  Some great messages there
for disaster preparation, including importance of inventory to establish
value for insurance.

Hope this helps - Peg

--
Margaret (Peg) Allen, MLS, AHIP, FMLA