------

Sorry if you have already received this notice.

Mark your calendar right now! On September 13, in Barre, come celebrate
the Grand Opening of  the Vermont Archaeology Heritage Center and our
new, creative partnership with the Vermont History Center.  Drop in any
time between 3:30 -- 6:30 PM.

*When:*  September 13 (Thursday)

*Time:*  3:30-6:30 PM

*Where: * Vermont History Center, 60 Washington St., Barre

*Light refreshments will be served!*

What happens to all the "stuff" after archeologists dig a site?  Where
do the artifacts, soil samples, field notes, reports, and photos go?
And then what do we do with all this? The new, permanent Vermont
Archaeology Heritage Center will offer many opportunities for education,
art, science, and research for people of all ages and interests. Join us
for the Grand Opening and celebrate the historic partnership that joins
the state's archaeological "treasures" with the historical treasure
trove at the Vermont History Center. Tour the newly renovated spaces at
the Vermont History Center and enjoy the inaugural archaeology exhibit,
"*/How Do You Know That?? Unraveling the Past Through Archeology./*"
Archaeologist Charlie Paquin will demonstrate the fine art of
"flintknapping," showing how Vermont's Native people made stone tools
for thousands of years. We are unveiling the re-creation of the
extraordinary 3,000 year old Swanton Pot. Come and get some wonderful,
FREE archaeology publications.**

*For more information*: Contact Giovanna Peebles, SHPO/State
Archeologist, (802) 828-3050

**