Austine School

From: School Information Technology Discussion
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bjorn Behrendt
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 3:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On Filtering

I use OpenDNS to block the minimum amount.   There are two reasons that
filtering must be in place in schools.  First, is for accidental or
purposeful misuse (like porn) and second is bandwidth constraints, which I
have Youtube open, but have had to remind the school every few months not to
use it for background music or I will block it.  These two reasons fulfill
e-rate requirements and cost nothing to implement.

There is a third reason and that is unmanageable distraction.   This is
where things get hazy between responsible internet use and classroom
management.    Facebook is a classic example of this.  If classroom
innovation and fair use adoption (not just teaching but actual adoption on
the students part) can keep up then sites like facebook is a great thing.
But too often the innovation is much slower than misuse which makes the app
unmanageable to a classroom teacher.   This is what happened at MSJ when I
opened up Facebook.    For these types of tools we need to find a middle
ground that can carry over.   Like teaching social networking skills in a
LMS and explain to students how their communication online carries over to
their facebook type accounts.

   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003

My Sites

 ~ Edlisten.com

      ~ Google Weekly ~ 38: Good by Aviary   (7/27/2012)

      ~ Teaching Change ~ 3: Transferring Google Docs (6/4/2012)

 ~ AskBj.net ~ Online Training and Ed Tech Resources

Get The Year Started With Google Apps 3 credit course Aug 13-17:
http://getgoogle.edlisten.com

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Heather Chirtea <[log in to unmask]>