Hi Susan,
I'm responding on-list because I'd love to read what other schools are doing in response to your request.

At Woodstock, we've been involved with Virtual High School (now called "The VHS Collaborative") for about 6 years and  it's a very good fit for us.  Our subscription level allows for 25 seats each semester and for the past several years we've been just below capacity.  I'd love to grew the program just a little bit more to accommodate 35-50 students each semester.  We'll see.  It's been a great way for our students, especially 11th and 12th graders, to start exploring more specific areas of interest or to bolster up a transcript.  For example, we've had students take VHS science courses when they've exhausted the face-to-face courses we offer here at WUHS and plan on science major in college or medical career.
We haven't really used VHS for credit recovery or remediation...more as a way to enrich and expand what we offer face-to-face.

Here are some things that help make it work for us.
For a while I was keeping a database of outcome and need to update it but overall our success rate has been very high...probably a 90% passing rate and very good subjective feedback from students and parents.  Students really appreciate the transparency of the courses and the very clear objectives and learning outcomes that are presented at the beginning of each semester.

Hope this helps,
Luis

Luis Bango

Technology Integration Teacher / VHS Site Coordinator
Woodstock Union High School
Woodstock, Vermont
(802)457-1317 x1008