A better approach might be to offer insurance that covers theft.   We have used http://www.studentinsurancepartners.com/ which overs theft and accidental damage.

   [log in to unmask] | (802) 772-0003
My Sites
 ~ Edlisten.com
      ~ Google Weekly ~ 40: Hangout Baby Monitor   (8/12/2012)
      ~ Teaching Change ~ 3: Transferring Google Docs (6/4/2012)

Get The Year Started With Google Apps 3 credit course Aug 13-17: http://getgoogle.edlisten.com

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Drew Blanchard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
We're getting into the nuts and bolts of our 1-to-1 rollout with MacBook Pros, and now we're looking at safety and security.  Specifically: theft protection and insurance.

What, if anything, are others using for insurance (theft/loss protection and accidental damage) policies?  We're considering adding Computrace (http://www.absolute.com/products/endpoint-security) to track and recover laptops which may go … missing.  It's sort of like LoJack for computers, but I worry it might be too easy to defeat.  It'd approximately $95/machine for 3 years of coverage; for an $1100 machine, that seams reasonable.  Computrace guarantees they can either recover the missing device or they'll pay the replacement fee.  On the other hand, the cost to the district is roughly $12k.   We're not looking to monitor students' activity or location - this is purely for theft recovery.

In your opinion(s), is this worth it? Are other districts doing anything like this?  Thoughts?

Drew