My husband and I have seen extremely tame Black crowned night herons at a restaurant
and hotel in San Diego, near Mission Bay.  They would perch on railing over the table
while you eat breakfast and grab food from plates after diners left.  We remarked that we
could try and wait all summer to catch a glimpse of this bird around Shelburne Pond, yet
were being stalked by two for our plate of salmon eggs benedict.  (just for the record the
salmon eggs benedict was delicious and worth fighting for.) Kay and Robert in Hinesburg