To the UVM  Campus Community:

The National Weather Service has issued a *Tornado Watch* for Vermont
until 10 pm this evening.

A watch is issued when weather conditions are favorable for the
development of tornadoes in the watch area. Tornadoes are rare in
Vermont, but they have occurred in the past. The safest place to be
during a tornado is inside a substantial structure, like our buildings
at UVM.  If a tornado is spotted locally and a Tornado Warning is
issued, we will send an alert to everyone signed-up for CatAlert.In such
case, please stay away from windows until an "all-clear alert" is sent
and you can safely resume normal activities.

Additionally -- widespread thunderstorm activity is expected later this
afternoon and evening with the potential for heavy rain, destructive
winds and hail.  You should be alert for rapidly changing weather
conditions and seek safe shelter indoors, should threatening weather
approach.

Bill Ballard
Associate VP and
Co-Chair of UVM's Emergency