To the UVM  Campus Community:

The National Weather Service has issued a Tornado Watch for Vermont until 10 pm this evening.

A watch is issued when weather conditions are favorable for the development of tornadoes in the watch area. Tornadoes are rare in Vermont, but they have occurred in the past. The safest place to be during a tornado is inside a substantial structure, like our buildings at UVM.  If a tornado is spotted locally and a Tornado Warning is issued, we will send an alert to everyone signed-up for CatAlert.  In such case, please stay away from windows until an “all-clear alert” is sent and you can safely resume normal activities.

Additionally -- widespread thunderstorm activity is expected later this afternoon and evening with the potential for heavy rain, destructive winds and hail.  You should be alert for rapidly changing weather conditions and seek safe shelter indoors, should threatening weather approach.

Bill Ballard
Associate VP and
Co-Chair of UVM's Emergency
Operation's Group