Yesterday afternoon Craig Provost and Ted Murin discovered a Hudsonian
Godwit at Farrell Access.  Thanks to phone calls from Craig, the bird
was later also viewed by Ron Payne, Jim Mead and me.

Lounging, foraging and preening 1600 feet to the southwest in shallow
water at the mouth of a small cove, it and other shorebirds could be
viewed from the parking area, by walking the west shore southward, and
possibly from the field above the cove.  A single Greater Yellowlegs
kept close company with the Godwit on occasion.

Other shorebirds included a flock of Lesser Yellowlegs, an American
Golden Plover, a Semipalmated Sandpiper, and a Least Sandpiper.  The
Lesser Yellowlegs were depleted by one following a successful aerial
pursuit from a Peregrine Falcon over water right in front of us. The
speed of the Falcon was breathtaking.  It disappeared carrying its new
meal into the canopy of tall-tree woods on the east shore.

The Peregrine attack dispersed the shorebirds, which we did not see
again before leaving shortly thereafter.

A list of species seen by Ron, Jim and me is found at:

http://ebird.org/ebird/vt/view/checklist?subID=S11643664

Ian